Sunday, February 17, 2013

Slamming my writing career into drive

I've been in a bit of a rut lately. The bootcamp had the opposite effect on my productivity than I expected. In fact it’s made me question everything. I've struggled with feelings that I'm ever going to be a writer, and by that I mean a professional writer. I know I'm a published writer, a blogger, a comic book historian. Keene's keynote speech on the realities of being a B-list writer was sobering. But, there's still hope in terms of ePublishing. But none of that is really going to be a concern if I don't have a product.

If I was a career in writing, that's how I'm going to have to look at it. My writing is a product and I need to get it into a marketable shape. It's a daunting amount of work to proceed, perhaps that's what I find intimidating and overwhelming. I think it's also a confidence thing. I feel like I'm no farther ahead of where I
was in 2007 after WHC here in Toronto. I know that's not true.

The other side of my struggles have to do with my Black Knight Towing/Thunderbird Towing/Marc Galloway. Maybe it's just story idea fatigue. Maybe trying to hold onto it for too long, trying to make something of it. Or maybe I'm just looking for a way out.

It's always easier to start something new than to actually finish it. Maybe that's the test I need to put the idea up against. Give it 90 days and see what kind of fruit I can produce.

Yes, I'm in a bit of a rut. The only way out is to write my way out. And I need a 90-day plan.

No comments:

Post a Comment